PainRelief.com Interview with:
Rebecca Erwin Wells, MD, MPH
Associate Professor, Department of Neurology
UCNS Certified Headache Specialist
Founder and Director of the Comprehensive Headache Program at Wake Forest Baptist
Wake Forest School of Medicine
PainRelief.com: What is the background for this study?
- Migraine is the second leading cause of disability worldwide.
- Many patients with migraine stop medications because of side effects or ineffectiveness.
- Many patients with migraine still use opioids despite recommendations against them for headache treatment.
- Mindfulness is helpful for many clinical pain conditions.
- We conducted a pilot study of mindfulness for migraine that demonstrated benefit, so we conducted this larger randomized controlled trial to understand further potential benefit.